"Chapter Five: Dig Dug" is the fifth episode of Stranger Things 2 and the thirteenth episode of Stranger Things in total. It is directed by Andrew Stanton and will premiere with the rest of season two on October 27, 2017.
In The Upside Down infected tunnels, Jim Hopper encounters a growth that resembles a Demogorgon. It shoots spores at him that knock him out. Overhead, the hole that Hopper dug is covered over by vines. At the Byers' house, Joyce finishes assembling Will's drawings. Will wakes up and tells Joyce that he thinks Hopper is in danger. Hopper wakes up and vomits black sludge. He tries to escape but finds the way back blocked. He starts moving deeper into the tunnels after covering his mouth.
Jonathan and Nancy seek out Murray Bauman, the investigator that Barb's parents had hired to find out about her death. Nancy corrects a lot of Murray's information and reveals the truth about Barb. At the arcade, Lucas tells Max the truth about what happened to Will the previous year.
Bob arrives at the Byers house. Initially, Joyce tries to brush him off because he is not privy to the events of last year but when she realises that he might be able to solve the puzzle of Will's drawings, she relents. Bob quickly realises that Will's drawings are a map of Hawkins.
In the tunnels, Hopper realises that the tendrils are afraid of fire. Dustin buries his mother's cat and lures Dart out of the house into a cellar. He tries to get in contact with his friends but fails.
At Terry Ives' house, Becky tries to get to know Eleven better. She shows El the room Terry kept for her, and offers to let El stay. Then, the lights start to flicker and Eleven realises that Terry is trying to communicate.
Will, Mike, Bob, and Joyce figure out Hopper's location and rush off to save him. Despite not finding any of his friends, Dustin manages to enlist Steve's help in dealing with Dart. At the arcade, Max does not believe Lucas' story.
Murray believes Jonathan and Nancy, and they have to figure out a way to get the story out without it being discredited. They eventually hit on the idea of watering down the truth to eliminate the more fantastical elements to make it more palatable to public.
At Hawkins Lab, Dr. Sam Owens and his team analyse the soil samples from the dead pumpkin patches and realise they are infected by the Upside Down and have a hive mind.
At Terry's house, Eleven continues to try and contact her mother. While she doesn't get through to her, she experiences memories of her birth.
Joyce and Bob head into the tunnels to rescue Hopper and find him tangled in vines. As they try to pull him free, scientists from Hawkins Lab arrive to help including one armed with a flamethrower. He covers the retreat, burning the tendrils. On the surface, Will screams and collapses as the tendrils burns.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- Max Mayfield - Sadie Sink
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Billy Hargrove - Dacre Montgomery
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Bob Newby - Sean Astin
- Dr. Sam Owens - Paul Reiser
- Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Claudia Henderson - Catherine Curtin
- Murray Bauman - Brett Gelman
- Terry Ives - Aimee Mullins
- Ray - Pruitt Taylor Vince
- Becky Ives - Amy Seimetz
- Staff Nurse Caitlin - Kerry Cahill
- Keith - Matty Cardarople
- Mrs. Sinclair - Karen Ceesay
- Lab Technician - Cory Chapman
- Erica Sinclair - Priah Ferguson
- Security Guard - Paul Vincent Freeman
- Motel Owner - Virginia Kirby
- Mr. Sinclair - Arnell Powell
- Friendly Trucker - Ben Taylor
- "Try My Love" by Carroll Lloyd - Nancy and Jonathan check into a motel.
- "You Ought To Be With Me" by Carl Weathers - The Sinclair family sits down for breakfast; Lucas asks his father what he does when his mom is mad at him.
- "Green, Green Grass of Home" by Bobby Bare - Eleven catches a ride on a semi to visit her mother.
- "Can I Do What I Want" by Shock Therapy - Nancy and Jonathan stop by Murray's place.
- "Metal Sport" by Hittman - Billy drops Max at the arcade and tells her to be out in an hour.
- "Darling Don't Leave Me" by Robert Görl - Max is shown into the backroom of the arcade, where Lucas is waiting for her.
- "When the Sun Goes Down" by The Jetzons - Lucas follows Max through the arcade trying to convince her that his story is true.
- "Strenght in Numbers" by Channel 3 - Billy picks up Max from the arcade and questions her about hanging out with Lucas.
- "Open the Kingdom (Liquid Days, Part II)" by Philip Glass Ensemble, Douglas Perry, Michael Riesman & Michael Reisman - Rapid flashback montage of what happened to Terry Ives.
- "No More" by Billie Holiday - Murray puts on a record to help him contemplate Nancy and Jonathan's revelations.
- "The Spy"
- "Biking to School"
- "Gearing Up"
- "Connect the Dots"
- "In the Woods"
- "Looking for a Way Out"
- "Turn Right & Run"
"Dig Dug" is the first of two consecutive episodes directed by Andrew Stanton, who is known for writing and directing several Pixar films. Stanton was a big fan of the series and contacted executive producer Shawn Levy to express interest in taking part in the second season.
Stanton gave the episode's production crew custom made beanies with images of the player's character in the game Dig Dug, which the episode is named after, and binoculars, symbolizing the second episode he directed: "The Spy".
The title of the episode is taken from the 1982 arcade game Dig Dug, in which the eponymous player's character digs underground tunnels where he defeats monsters. It might refers to events in the episode in which Hopper enters underground tunnels, as suggested by the image from the title reveal representing the episode.
The title of the fifth chapter was originally assumed to be "The Storm" because the announcement trailer for season two listed this as the fifth title. However, the titles in the announcement trailer were out of order and only meant to "provide some hint of where [they] were going in season two without giving anything away." The real title was revealed with an image representing the episode, along with the titles of the six first chapters on October 9, 2017.
- ↑ "Finding Dory director to helm 2 episodes of Stranger Things 2" Entertainment Weekly. February 10, 2017.
- ↑ Tweet by Andrew Stanton (@andrewstanton) on Twitter. February 11, 2017.
- ↑ "‘Stranger Things’: ‘Finding Dory’ Director Wraps On Season 2" Heroic Hollywood. March 22, 2017.
- ↑ Tweet by Andrew Stanton (@andrewstanton) on Twitter. October 9, 2017.
- ↑ "The Duffer Brothers Are Reading Your 'Stranger Things' Reddit Theories" The Hollywood Reporter. October 12, 2016.
- ↑ "The story continues. New chapters on October 27." Stranger Things on Twitter. October 9, 2017.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|