Hawkins is a town in Roane County in the state of Indiana.
Hawkins was a quiet town. The last person to be reported missing prior to 1983 was in 1923.
In November 1983, during experiments at Hawkins National Laboratory, a gate was opened to a dimension called the Upside Down, allowing a monster to enter Hawkins. The monster abducted Hawkins' residents and brought them to the Upside Down. Among its victims were Will Byers, who was brought home after a week, and Barbara Holland, who was killed in the Upside Down. The circumstances of their disappearance was covered up by the agents at Hawkins Lab.
- The Byers family
- The Wheeler family
- The Holland family
- The Sinclair family
- The Blackburn family
- Unnamed child
- Dustin Henderson
- Police Chief Jim Hopper
- Benny Hammond (deceased)
- Steve Harrington
- Tommy H.
- Officer Powell
- Officer Callahan
- Bob Newby
- Russell Coleman
- Scott Clarke
- Troy's mother
- Jennifer Hayes
- Bev Mooney
- Dale (deceased)
- Henry (deceased)
Included and Nearby Locations
- Hawkins National Laboratory, a division of the U.S. Department of Energy
- Hawkins Police Station
- Hawkins High School
- Hawkins Middle School
- Bradley's Big Buy (supermarket)
- Hawkins General Hospital
- Benny's Burgers
- Main article: Downtown Hawkins
- Public Library
- Melvald's General Store
- Royal Furniture Co.
- Hawk (cinema)
- Rental Solutions
- Hawkins Water & Sewer Authority
- Roane County Coroner
- Hunting & Camping (store)
- Hideaway (pub)
Roads and areas
- Mirkwood - Road near the Byers' home going past Hawkins National Laboratory, located where Cornwallis and Kerley meet.
- Cornwallis – Close to the Wheeler home, continues onto Kerley, where it goes off to Mirkwood.
- Kerley – Continues onto Cornwallis, where it goes off to Mirkwood.
- Elm and Cherry – Crossing streets where Mike and Dustin would meet Lucas.
- Randolph Lane – Where Benny's Burgers is located.
- Randolph Road – Goes past the Hawkins National Laboratory.
- Mulberry Street - Near to Melvald's General Store.
- Maple Street - Likely the street where the Wheeler, Sinclair and Blackburn families live.
Before Jonathan and Nancy went monster hunting, he showed her a map taken from a telephone directory, where he had marked the locations of the monster attacks: Steve's house, the place where Will's bike was found and the Byers' house. The map also showed the the names of several roads in Hawkins, which were probably the main roads.
Streets going North-South: Johnson, Euclid, Monroe, Washington, Madison, Grant, Habersham, North Ave, Piedmont and Hill.
Streets going West-East: Broadway, Briarcliff, Jackson and Henry.
Behind the scenes
Stranger Things was filmed on location in Atlanta, Georgia and surrounding areas. The town square of Jackson in Butts County was used as the location for downtown Hawkins, and many of the stores were repainted and stocked with vintage merchandise for filming.
The show was originally set in Montauk, Long Island, as shown by the pilot script. For various reasons, the Duffers invented Hawkins and used it as the show's location instead.