"Chapter Three: Holly, Jolly" is the third chapter of Stranger Things and the third episode of the first season. It was written by Jessica Mecklenburg and directed by Shawn Levy. It premiered on Netflix on July 15, 2016 along with the rest of the season.
While Nancy and Steve are making out on Steve's bed, Barb is shown in what looks like another dimension in Steve's empty pool, but overgrown and in ruins. Barb climbs up the pool ladder and screams Nancy's name, but she is not heard and the mysterious monster drags her back into the depths.
Meanwhile, Mike, Dustin, and Lucas decide to meet Eleven after school and she'll lead them to where Will is hiding. Before this happens, Eleven decides to explore Mike's house. She looks around at Nancy's room then watches their TV. While switching channels, Eleven notices a commercial for Coca-Cola, which triggers a flashback. Eleven is shown in the Hawkins Laboratory where she is forced to use her telekinetic abilities to manipulate a Coca-Cola can. Eleven succeeds, however, her nose begins to bleed as Dr. Martin Brenner smiles behind a glass.
In another flashback, Eleven is hooked up to a machine monitoring her brain waves. The scientists force Eleven to kill a cat with her abilities, but she cannot bring herself to do so. Dr. Brenner has her put in solitary confinement, as she screams "Papa!" when the scientists drag her down the hallway. They throw her into solitary confinement, but before they can close the door, Eleven telekinetically kills the two guards. Dr. Brenner comforts Eleven as her nose and ears are bleeding, then calls her "Incredible".
Chief Hopper manages to get into the Hawkins Laboratory, but doesn't find much evidence of Will's disappearance. However, when he is shown the security footage from the night of Will's disappearance, Hopper notices there isn't any rain in the footage despite the huge storm which occurred that night. Hopper tells the other cops that he suspects the staff at the laboratory are lying.
These events causes Hopper and two other cops to visit a library and search for any newspaper which mentions "Hawkins National Laboratory". The newspaper clips show Dr. Brenner working with several patients (one of which is Terry Ives). Hopper reads enough information on Dr. Brenner in the old newspaper archives to suspect him of involvement in Will's disappearance.
Meanwhile, Joyce's Christmas lights start flickering, which leads her to a crawl space with more lights in her hands. Will begins speaking to her through the lights, with one flicker as "Yes" and two flickers as "No". He then tells Joyce that he is alive. She asks if he is safe, but Will replies no. Since their communication is stuck to one word answers, yes and no, Joyce paints the alphabet on her wall and uses the Christmas lights as an Ouija board.
Nancy comes home and reveals to her mother that something terrible happened to Barb. In the library, Hopper discovers the "MK-Ultra" program which involved Dr. Brenner. Hopper wonders if Will was in the wrong place at the wrong time and witnessed something he shouldn't have.
In the woods, Eleven leads the boys to Will's house and says he is hiding there. None of them believe her, as Will would have been found already. Suddenly, police cars and an ambulance rushes by, and they head off to follow.
Back at the house, Joyce has Will spell out where he is. Will lights up "RIGHT HERE", which distresses Joyce. Will then spells out "RUN" as the mysterious monster starts crawling out from the wall to take Joyce. Joyce runs out of the house as all of the lights begin flickering erratically.
Meanwhile, Chief Hopper and the police are led to a body of water in the canyon. A body can be seen being pulled out of the water, which everyone assumes is Will. The three boys and Eleven doubt that the lifeless body is indeed Will, but they catch a glance of it, and realize it is him. They watch on devastated, and question Eleven as to why she said Will was alive. Eleven can't give Mike any answers, which causes him to run home to his mother's arms.
Simultaneously, Joyce is running down the road away from the monster and encounters Jonathan. They then begin to hug.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Dr. Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Officer Powell - Rob Morgan
- Barbara Holland - Shannon Purser
- Officer Callahan - John Paul Reynolds
- The Monster - Mark Steger
- Nicole - Glennellon Anderson
- Mrs. Holland - Cynthia Barrett
- Hawkins Head of Security - Pete Burris
- Lead Scientist - Hugh Holub
- James - Cade Jones
- Mr Melvald - Charles Lawlor
- Terry Ives (photograph) - Aimee Mullins
- M.P. Officer Patrick - Miles Mussendon
- Holly Wheeler - Anniston and Tinsley Price
- David O'Bannon - Ron Roggé
- Tommy H. - Chester Rushing
- Carol - Chelsea Talmadge
- Ally - Sierra Vemeyer
- Marissa - Christi Waldon
- Troy - Peyton Wich
- "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner - First song as Nancy loses her virginity with Steve.
- "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" by Joel Evans & Friends - Joyce goes to town to buy more Christmas lights.
- "Brahm's Lullaby" by Johannes Brahms - Eleven opens up a music box while exploring Nancy's room
- "Heroes" by Peter Gabriel (originally by David Bowie) – Hopper and the kids find out what has been discovered at the lake.
- "You Can Talk to Me" - Nancy talks with Karen after arriving home.
- "Lamps"- Joyce tries to tell Jonathan that Will is communicating through the lights.
- "A Kiss"- Nancy and Steve talk in front of Nancy's locker.
- "Lay-Z-Boy"- Eleven decides to explore Mike's house.
- "Papa"- Brenner carries Eleven down a hallway after she kills the two guards.
- "Eleven"-Eleven closes the music box and looks at Nancy's photos.
- "Hanging Lights"- Joyce hangs Christmas lights around her house to communicate with Will.
- "Night of the Seventh"- Hopper and the agents watch the security footage.
- "See Any Rain?" - Hopper notices there wasn't any rain on the security footage and suspects the agents are lying.
- "One Blink for Yes"- Joyce communicates with Will through the lights.
- "Where's Barb?"
- "Dispatch"- Hopper and Powell head to the quarry.
- "Let's Go"
- "Breaking and Entering"
- This is the first episode of the season, and of the entire series, to feature scenes set within the Upside Down.
- This is the only episode of the first season in which Ted Wheeler does not appear onscreen.
- This episode has the only chapter title besides "MadMax" which does not begin with "The".
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|