This article contains some information based on conjecture and may not be entirely accurate. When adding dates, please provide sources and reasoning. Before changing any dates, please start a discussion either in the comments or on the talk page.
Timeline of events in Stranger Things.
- The town of Hawkins was founded some time in the late 1800's.
- Steve Harrington is born to his unnamed parents.
- Jonathan Byers is born to Lonnie and Joyce Byers.
- Nancy Wheeler is born to Ted and Karen Wheeler.
- Billy Hargrove is born to Neil Hargrove and his unnamed mother.
- Sarah Hopper is born to Jim and Diane. She passes away from what is seemingly cancer at a young age.
- Terry Ives participates in MKUltra while unknowingly pregnant under the supervision of Dr. Martin Brenner.
- Kali is taken from her home in London and taken to Hawkins National Laboratory. She eventually escapes the lab.
- Eleven is born to Terry Ives and taken by Dr. Martin Brenner. 
- Dustin Henderson is born to Claudia Henderson and his unnamed father.
- Lucas Sinclair is born to his unnamed parents.
- Mike Wheeler is born to Ted and Karen Wheeler.
- Maxine "Max" Mayfield is born to Susan Hargrove and her unnamed father.
- Joyce Byers starts working as a retail clerk at Melvald's General Store in Hawkins.
- MKUltra is exposed and halted.
- Eleven breaks a Coca Cola can with telekinetic powers under the supervision of Dr. Brenner in Hawkins National Laboratory.
- Eleven is forced to kill a cat, but can‘t do it. As she is about to get locked up, she kills two guards with her powers.
- Eleven is made to repeat words a man in another room is saying, and manages to broadcast them on speakers.
1982June or later
- Joyce visits Will in Castle Byers and surprises him with tickets to Poltergeist.
- Jonathan introduces Will to his mix of rock music and they listen to "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash.
- Joyce and Lonnie divorce leaving Lonnie to move to Indianapolis, Indiana
- Eleven is put in a sensory deprivation tank to watch a Russian spy in another location, and she encounters the monster.
Sunday, November 6
- Eleven goes on a mission to make contact with the monster, and a gate to The Upside Down unexpectedly opens in Hawkins Lab, allowing the monster to pass through. Eleven escapes from Hawkins National Laboratory.
- The monster escapes Hawkins Lab and kills a scientist.
- Will Byers is abducted by the monster.
- Hundreds of homes in East Hawkins have surges and power outages.
Monday, November 7
- Joyce Byers goes to the police station to report her son as missing. Police Chief Hopper was initially reluctant to investigate but later agrees.
- An area of Hawkins National Laboratory is quarantined. Dr. Brenner and other scientists investigate the area and find that the gate is spreading into the lab.
- Eleven walks into Benny's Burgers. Benny Hammond feeds her and calls social services.
- Hopper and his team search the woods and find Will‘s bike. They go to the Byers home to investigate further, and Hopper experiences strange noises in the shed.
- Agents arrive to capture Eleven and Connie Frazier kills Benny. Eleven escapes, killing two agents in the process.
- Joyce receives a phone call where she hears only breathing and growling, and is electrocuted by the phone.
- Mike Wheeler, Lucas Sinclair and Dustin Henderson search for Will in the woods, but stumble upon Eleven.
- Mike brings Eleven to his home and lets her sleep in the basement for the night, nicknaming her "El".
Tuesday, November 8
- After searching for Will the entire night, the police and volunteers still have no clues, but continue their search throughout the day.
- Mike stays home from school with Eleven and she recognizes Will in a photo. She demonstrates her telekinetic abilities in front of Mike, Dustin and Lucas.
- Agents from Hawkins Lab, covering as Hawkins Power and Light, investigate the shed at the Byers' residence and find material from The Upside Down.
- Jonathan Byers hangs missing posters at Hawkins High School and travels to his father to search for Will.
- There is an assembly on the football field of Hawkins High School for the disappearance of Will.
- Benny Hammond is found dead in his diner and it's been staged to look like a suicide.
- Eleven says Will is hiding, flips the Dungeons & Dragons board upside down and places the Demogorgon game piece on the board to demonstrate that he's hiding in The Upside Down and the monster is after him.
- Nancy Wheeler and Barbara Holland go to Steve Harrington‘s party, where Barbara, sitting alone by the pool, is dragged into The Upside Down. Jonathan Byers takes pictures from the forest.
- Joyce receives another phone call with strange noises. The lights intensify and the song "Should I Stay or Should I Go" plays from Will‘s room. The monster stretches through the wallpaper and Joyce runs out of the house.
- Barbara finds herself in The Upside Down where she is chased by the Monster.
- Nancy and Steve have sex and Nancy goes home some time in the night.
Wednesday, November 9
- Nancy discovers that Barb is missing. She goes to investigate around Steve's house and is scared by something she sees in the forest.
- Jonathan is revealed to have taken pictures of Nancy and Steve breaks his camera.
- Chief Hopper and officers Powell and Callahan investigate at the Hawkins National Laboratory and discover that the employees are lying to them. They go to the library, where they discover that Dr. Brenner was involved in Project MKUltra.
- Joyce hangs Christmas lights all over her house and paints the alphabet on the wall so Will can communicate with her. He tells her to R-U-N, and the monster breaks through the wallpaper.
- Eleven leads Mike, Lucas and Dustin to Will‘s house and claims he‘s hiding there.
- A body claimed to be Will Byers is found in the quarry by state trooper David O'Bannon.
Thursday, November 10
- Mike is hurt to learn that Will is dead. But Eleven convinces Mike that he is alive as she makes contact with Will through the walkie-talkie. The boys give her a makeover and go to school to make contact through the AV Club's ham radio where they all hear Will's voice.
- Nancy and Jonathan look at the photos he took, and Nancy recognizes the monster in a picture of Barb.
- Shepard, a worker at Hawkins National Laboratory, enters The Upside Down attached to a security line, but is taken by the Monster.
- Hopper talks to state trooper David O'Bannon, who found "Will's body" and discovers he's lying. He breaks into the coroner's, where he finds that the body is a fake, stuffed with cotton.
- Joyce sees Will through an opening to The Upside Down in her wall.
Friday, November 11
- Will's funeral is held. His father Lonnie returns to Hawkins, intending to make money from his death through a lawsuit.
- Hopper finds a bug in his place and teams up with Joyce, admitting her that she was right about Will from the beginning.
- Mike, Dustin and Lucas try to locate the gate with their compasses, but Eleven distorts the compasses to lead them in the wrong direction to protect them. A fight breaks out, and Eleven knocks Lucas unconscious before escaping.
- Nancy and Jonathan go searching for the Monster, and Nancy enters The Upside Down.
- Nancy returns from The Upside Down. Jonathan sleeps over at Nancy's place, which Steve sees when looking in her window.
Saturday, November 12
- Joyce and Hopper track down Terry Ives. Her sister tells them about Terry's involvement in Project MKUltra, and her belief that she had a daughter.
- Nancy and Jonathan purchase weapons to kill the monster. A fight breaks out between Jonathan and Steve, resulting in Jonathan getting arrested.
- Agent Connie Frazier visits Mr. Clarke at his residence and finds out about Mike, Dustin, and Lucas.
- Lucas goes out on his own to locate the gate, and follows the false magnetic north indication to Hawkins National Laboratory.
- Mike and Dustin are cornered by Troy and James and Mike is told to jump off a cliff. As Mike jumped, he is levitated to safety by Eleven in the nick of time, and she breaks Troy's arm. El falls to the ground and apologizes. Mike comforts & calms her and says she is not the monster as she saved him. Mike, Eleven and Dustin then reconcile.
- Mike, Dustin and Eleven flee from the agents that come to Mike's home.
- Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Eleven, Joyce, Hopper, Nancy and Jonathan break into Hawkins Middle School and make a sensory deprivation tank for Eleven to use. She finds Barbara dead and Will weakened in The Upside Down, and he disappears as the monster approaches.
- Joyce and Hopper are caught breaking into Hawkins National Laboratory, but Hopper reveals Eleven's location and promises to never reveal anything about the agents, and they are allowed to go.
- Nancy and Jonathan set traps for the monster in the Byers' home. Steve arrives and they assault the monster with a bat and set it on fire, but it disappears.
- Mike invites Eleven to the Snow Ball and kisses her, revealing that he likes her. The agents come to Hawkins Middle School to capture Eleven, but she kills them. The Monster arrives, and before it could harm the boys, Eleven pins it to the wall. Eleven bids farewell to Mike and then disintegrates the monster, but in the process disappears herself.
- Joyce and Hopper enter the Upside Down and find Will as a host to a long tendril which Hopper pulls out of his throat and through his mouth. Hopper and Joyce perform CPR on him and he begins to breath. Joyce puts her oxygen apparatus on him and he is brought to Hawkins General Hospital. He wakes up later in the night to rejoin with his friends.
- Hopper is picked up by a government car.
- After defeating the Demogorgon, Eleven awakes in the Upside Down version of Hawkins Middle. She finds her way out via one of the Demogorgon's temporary portals and briefly appears to Mike's house. Realizing that the agents are looking for her, she hides out in the local woods.
- While hiding in the local woods, Eleven encounters a hunter. She knocks him unconscious using her telekinetic powers and steals his coat and hat for warmth.
Sunday, December 11
- Mike, Will, Dustin and Lucas play Dungeons & Dragons in Mike's basement again, but Mike misses Eleven and keeps the pillow fort intact in regards to her memory.
- Nancy and Steve give Jonathan a new camera for Christmas.
- Hopper places Eggo waffles in a box in the forest.
- Will coughs up a slug-like creature and momentarily phases into the Upside Down.
- Eleven discovers food that Hopper has left for her.
Monday, December 12
- While Hopper is again leaving food for Eleven, she reveals herself to him. He takes her to his grandfather's cabin and she begins living with him.
1983 - 1984
- Sam Owens becomes the new Director of Operations at Hawkins Lab.
- Will begins to have appointments at Hawkins Lab to monitor any lasting effects of his time in the Upside Down.
- Underneath Hawkins Lab, a secondary entrance to the Gate is formed. A series of interconnected tunnels, serving as an extension of sorts to the Upside Down, also begins to form below Hawkins.
- Eleven lives with Hopper in the cabin who furnishes it to be her new house and develops a father-daughter relationship, but prevents her from seeing her friends for everyone's safety.
- Mike attempts to contact Eleven every night since her disappearance but fails.
- The lab begins regular 'burns' on the Gate's original entrance, in attempt to stall the Upside Down's spread.
- Mr. and Mrs. Holland hire Murray Bauman to investigate Barbara's disappearance.
- Joyce begins dating Bob Newby.
Monday, October 29
- In Pittsburgh, Kali and her gang are pursued by local police.
- Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Will go and play at the Palace Arcade. While there, Will has yet another vision of the Upside Down.
Tuesday, October 30
- Max and Billy arrive at Hawkins Middle & High.
- Will has another check-up appointment at Hawkins Lab.
- Hopper investigates the mysterious degradation of Hawkins's crops.
- Nancy and Steve have dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Holland and learn they have hired Murray Bauman to track down Barb. Nancy feels guilty.
- Mike tries to contact Eleven for the 352nd day in a row since her disappearance, but in vain.
- That night, Will has a vision of the Upside Down and sees a spider-like creature in the clouds.
Wednesday, October 31
- Hopper continues to investigate the quickly spreading crop degradation.
- Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Will and Max go trick-or-treating. Will has another vision of the Upside Down, seeing the Mind Flayer. Mike takes Will back to Wheeler's basement where he reveals to him about his vision, but requests him not to reveal it to anyone.
- Steve and Nancy have a falling-out at Tina's Halloween party, sparking the breakdown of their relationship.
- Eleven waits for Hopper to return to the cabin so they can celebrate Halloween together, but he loses track of time. She shuts herself in her bedroom and visits Mike telepathically, who was simultaneously trying to contact her.
- When Dustin arrives home after trick-or-treating, he discovers a creature in the trashcan outside his house.
- Dustin takes the creature inside and names him D'Artagnan, or Dart for short.
Thursday, November 1
- Hopper realizes that the blight affecting the local crops is positioned in such a way that it forms a series of concentric circles, centered at Hawkins Lab. Hopper demands that Owens and the lab investigate.
- Dustin brings Dart to school hoping to impress his friends, and especially Max. However, after Dart escapes, the kids spend the rest of the day searching the school for him.
- Eleven, having grown impatient, decides to leave the cabin to see Mike. She spots him from afar, but does not directly interact with him.
- Nancy and Jonathan arrange to meet Barb's parents over the phone. Hawkins Lab intercepts the call.
- Will has yet another vision of the Upside Down, in which the Mind Flayer traps him and latches onto his body.
- Joyce arrives at Hawkins Middle and takes Will home. She takes note of Will's increasingly strange behavior.
- When Eleven returns to the cabin, she has a heated argument with Hopper.
Friday, November 2
- Nancy and Jonathan are forcibly taken to Hawkins Lab while waiting to meet Barb's parents. Owens warns them about the possible consequences of revealing what really happened to Barb in November 1983. Unbeknownst to Owens, the teens are recording his speech.
- Will attempts to explain the Mind Flayer to Joyce and Hopper. He makes a series of drawings, which Joyce and Hopper join together to form a larger image. Mike goes to the house to see Will.
- Eleven finds a box at the cabin containing info on Hawkins Lab. She finds Terry Ives' file, and decides to contact her via the Void.
- Dustin returns home to discover a much grown Dart, feeding on the lifeless body of Mews.
- Hopper theorises that the drawings depict the vines and tendrils as seen in the Upside Down. He goes to one of the pumpkin patches and digs, until he finds himself in one of the underground tunnels.
- Hopper is sprayed with spore-like particles in the underground tunnels and loses consciousness.
- Will explains his connection to the shadow monster to Mike and tells the possibility that the monster might spy them. But Mike assures that they won't let it and he will be safe.
- Jonathan and Nancy check in to a motel, where Nancy questions why nothing ever came of their relationship last year.
Saturday, November 3
- Will tells Joyce that he saw Hopper in the tunnels, and points out where he saw Hopper on his drawings, marking an X on the spot.
- Hopper regains consciousness and continues his attempts to escape the tunnels, realizing the vines dislike fire. While resting a moment, vines entangle and trap him.
- Lucas tells Max the truth about what happened last year, but she does not believe him.
- Dustin traps Dart in the cellar and attempts to get help, but cannot reach anyone. Eventually he encounters Steve and enlists his help to kill Dart.
- The lab discovers the soil samples from the infected pumpkin patches react adversely to heat, and do so with a hive mind.
- Eleven hitches a ride to Terry Ives's home where she meets Aunt Becky and discovers her unresponsive mother. She is able to connect with her through the Void, but can only see the memories replaying inside Terry's mind of Eleven's capture and her subsequent failed attempt to retrieve her.
- Jonathan and Nancy meet up with Murray Bauman and tell him the truth about Barb's disappearance. He decides the best way to take down Hawkins Lab is to publicize a "watered down" version of the story.
- Bob arrives at the Byers' home and Joyce asks him to help to "find the X." Bob correctly realizes the drawings are a map of Hawkins and locates the X. Bob, Joyce, Mike and Will leave and find Hopper in the tunnels, where they are able to help cut him free. Just then, workers from the lab arrive in the tunnels to begin torching it, but as soon as they do Will experiences extreme pain and began convulsing on the ground.
- Will is rushed to Hawkins lab where he is sedated.
- Dustin and Steve find that Dart has molted again and escaped the cellar through a tunnel.
- Nancy, Jonathan, and Murray Bauman send out the evidence against Hawkins lab to national newspapers. After prodding from Murray, Nancy and Jonathan give in to their feelings for each other and spend the night together.
- Eleven tells Becky what she saw in Terry's mind, and that she believes Terry wants her to find the girl who was with Eleven at Hawkins Lab as a child. Becky helps her find a picture of her, and Eleven is able to locate her psychically. Eleven steals money from Becky and leaves to find the girl.
- Eleven arrives in Chicago and finds the girl, Kali, and her gang. Kali accepts her as her sister and the two swap stories about their lives and powers.
Sunday, November 4
- Will regains consciousness, but is found to be losing his memory as the shadow monster continues to take control of him, recognizing only Joyce and Mike but doesn't recall Dr. Owens, Bob or Hopper. Dr. Owens explains to Joyce and Hopper that Will has been infected with a kind of virus, and he is now connected to the hive mind.
- Jonathan and Nancy leave Murray Bauman's and discover Will's drawings at the Byers home, with evidence that someone else has been there.
- Lucas makes contact with Dustin and he and Max go to help him and Steve trap and kill Dart. Several demodogs show up, but are called away by the Mind Flayer before they do any serious damage.
- Acting through Will, the shadow monster tricks the Hawkins lab employees to go to a certain part of the tunnels. Mike attempts to warn them but he is too late. They are attacked and killed by demodogs, who then turn to the lab itself.
- Kali trains Eleven in using anger to focus her powers. Eleven locates Ray Carroll, and the gang makes plans to murder him that night.
- That night, they arrive at Ray Carroll's house. Dottie and Axel begin looting while Kali and Eleven remind Ray of his crimes at Hawkins Lab and Eleven psychically chokes him. But seeing a photo of Ray with his children, Eleven changes her mind and lets him live and also prevents Kali from shooting him.
- Back at their hideout, the gang is ambushed by the police. They narrowly escape, but Eleven, after seeing visions of Hopper and Mike in danger, abandons the group to return to Hawkins and save her friends.
- The demodogs begin their invasion on Hawkins lab. Upon Mike's advice, Joyce drugs Will so that he loses consciousness and the shadow monster cannot use him to spy on them. Dr. Owens, Hopper, Joyce, Bob, Will, and Mike take shelter in the security surveillance room as the demodogs pursue them and the lab loses power.
- Neil and Susan arrive home and notice that Max is missing. Neil sends Billy out to find her.
- Steve, Max, Dustin, Lucas, Nancy, and Jonathan all arrive at the lab and realize Will, Mike, and Joyce are likely trapped inside the lab with the demodogs.
- Bob leaves the surveillance room to reset the breakers, and he succeeds in clearing a path for everyone to escape, but is killed by demodogs in the process.
- Back at the Byers house, everyone discusses options and realizes the shadow monster is similar to the Mind Flayer from Dungeons & Dragons. If they can kill the Mind Flayer, they will also destroy its army.
- They reason that Will is the only one who knows how to defeat the shadow monster, so they form a plan to disguise their surroundings so they can question him without the shadow monster spying on their location.
- After camouflaging the shed at the Byers home, they wake Will up and attempt to reach him. Will manages to communicate through tapping Morse code and delivers the message, "CLOSE GATE."
Monday, November 5"The Mind Flayer"
- The Byers' phone rings, alerting the shadow monster to Will's location. Joyce again drugs Will, but not before the shadow monster has dispatched demodogs.
- Everyone arms themselves and hears the demodogs arrive, but none attack. After a dead demodog flies through the window, the door is opened telekinetically, and Eleven surprisingly walks in. Mike becomes astonished to see her.
- After Eleven's reunion with everyone, the group decides that Eleven will close the gate, believing this will kill the Mind Flayer and his army. Before doing so, they realize they must force the Mind Flayer out of Will or else it will kill him, and decide they will do so by heating Hopper's cabin until Will's body is unbearably hot for the Mind Flayer. Hopper and Eleven leave for Hawkins Lab while Joyce, Jonathan, and Nancy take Will to Hopper's cabin.Before leaving, Eleven promises Mike that he will not lose her again.
- Billy stops by the Wheelers' house looking for Max, and flirts with Karen Wheeler before being sent to the Byers'.
- Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Max hatch a plan to go to the tunnels and set them on fire, thus drawing the demodogs away from Eleven and Hopper. Steve refuses this plan, but Billy arrives and the two fight. Steve is knocked unconscious by Billy, and Max finally ends the fight by sedating Billy. Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Max take the unconscious Steve and Billy's car and leave for the tunnels.
- The Mind Flayer is successfully expelled from Will.
- Mike, Lucas, Dustin, Max, and Steve set fire to the tunnels and escape after a few close calls with the vines and demodogs.
- While Hopper defends Eleven from demodogs, she channels her strength and closes the gate, killing the remaining demodogs.
- Murray Bauman's report has succeeded in closing Hawkins Lab.
- Barbara was given a proper funeral.
- Hopper meets with Dr. Owens, who has recovered from the demodog attack. He gives Hopper a birth certificate for Eleven, aka Jane Hopper, and advises Hopper that she should lie low for another year. But Hopper convinces Dr. Owens to give Eleven a night out to reunite with her friends.
Saturday, December 15"The Gate"
- The kids, including Eleven, attend the Hawkins Middle Snow Ball for the first time and dance together.
- The Mind Flayer, still alive in the Upside Down, looms over the Hawkins Middle School.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street" The Duffer Brothers (writers and directors).
- ↑ "New Poster, Official Release Date & Synopsis Revealed For ‘Stranger Things’ Season 2" The Playlist. July, 11, 2017.
- ↑ Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Eight: The Upside Down" The Duffer Brothers (directors). Paul Dichter and The Duffer Brothers (writers).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Six: The Monster" The Duffer Brothers (directors). Jessie Nickson-Lopez (writer).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers" The Duffer Brothers (writers and directors).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Three: Holly, Jolly" Shawn Levy (director). Jessica Mecklenburg (writer).
- ↑ Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Four: The Body" Shawn Levy (director). Justin Doble (writer).
- ↑ Poltergeist was released in theaters on June 4, 1982.
- ↑ "Should I Stay or Should I Go" was released on June 10, 1982.
- ↑ Stranger Things Season 1: "Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat" The Duffer Brothers (directors). Alison Tatlock (writer).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Stranger Things Season 2: "Chapter Two: Trick of Treat, Freak" The Duffer Brothers (writers and directors)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Stranger Things Season 2: "Chapter Three: The Pollywog" Justin Doble (writer) and Shawn Levy (director)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Basic math and attention to detail from information revealed in season two yields this date. El disappears in the early hours of 11.13.83, and Mike counts day one without her on 11.14.83. Counting from this correctly yields 10.31.84 as day 353. We learn from El that Mike's day 354 is her day 326 of living with Hopper, meaning day one was 12.12.83. This leaves her 28 days to live in the woods by herself. This cleanly lines up with the "one month later" title card in chapter eight of season one. The box that Hopper leaves the Eggos in provides a further clue regarding the timeline. We see him place candy and Eggos inside after the Christmas party, and the box is covered in snow (season one chapter eight). El finds the box still covered with snow, retrieves the offering, and runs away (season two chapter three). The second time Hopper leaves food, the box has no snow on it, indicating at least some time has passed. It is the second time he leaves food that El reveals herself to him and begins living with him. In order to meet all the timeline stipulations ("one month later," Mike's day 353, El's day 326), these two instances of leaving food for El have to be back-to-back days. Thus we arrive at: Sun, 12.11.83 - boys play D&D, Christmas party, Hopper leaves food, El discovers it, day 28 by Mike's counting Mon, 12.12.83 - Hopper leaves food again, El begins living with Hopper that night, day 29 by Mike's counting, day 1 by El's counting.
- ↑ While the superimposed title says October 28, this had to have actually happened on the 29, as the cut to the Hendersons' TV shows that this event occurred the same evening as the boys going to the arcade.
- ↑ Midnight most likely arrives sometime during the questioning of Will. This timeline is calculated based on (1) nightfall in Chicago of 6:15 PM on Nov 4, meaning this is the earliest Kali et al could arrive at Ray Carroll's house; (2) allowing 2 hours for the attack on Ray, drive back to Kali's, and the police raid; (3) a 3 hour bus ride back to Hawkins, assuming Hawkins is located somewhere north of Indianapolis and near Tippecanoe; (4) a 1 hour time zone difference between Hawkins and Chicago, with Chicago being behind Hawkins. This puts Eleven's arrival at the Byers' house sometime in the 1:00 AM hour.