"Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat" is the fifth chapter of Stranger Things and the fifth episode of the first season. It was written by Alison Tatlock and directed by the Duffer Brothers. It premiered on Netflix on July 15, 2016 along with the rest of the season.
Will's father Lonnie comes to town and convinces Joyce that she has imagined everything since Will's disappearance. Later, she discovers he is only interested in suing the company responsible for managing the quarry where Will's body was found, and she demands he leave.
After Will's funeral, the boys ask Mr. Clarke about dimensions. He says that inter-dimensional travel is presently impossible for humans due to the amount of energy needed, but a space-time tear could create a gate for passage. Returning to Mike's basement, Dustin reveals to Mike and Lucas that if the gate was created it would disrupt the electromagnetic field, throwing off compasses, and that by following their compasses they should be able to find the gate.
During the search, El remembers being weighed down in a sensory-deprivation tank to relay information from a Russian spy, but while under she comes across the creature. Scared of finding the gate, El directs the compasses away from the laboratory. When Lucas notices the distortion, he confronts her. Mike defends her, and a fight ensues between Mike and Lucas. Seeing this, El telekinetically flings Lucas off Mike, but Lucas is knocked unconscious as a result. Once he has recovered, he storms off. Mike and Dustin notice that El is gone.
After looking at Jonathan's photo of Barb, Nancy realizes the Monster is also present in the photo. She is convinced that the Monster is responsible for Barb's disappearance. Nancy and Jonathan decide to search for the creature on their own, using the Byers house, Steve's house and where they found Will's bike, to triangulate the creature's position. While searching, Nancy and Jonathan find a wounded deer. As they are about to perform a mercy kill on it, the creature drags it away. Upon following the trail of blood, Nancy comes across a flesh-like substance from a portal in the base of a tree. She is able to crawl through to the other side and, after entering, she sees the creature feasting upon the deer. She tries to flee but steps on a root, alerting the creature to her presence. The creature gives chase. Hearing her screams, Jonathan looks for her as the portal begins to close.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Dr. Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Deputy Powell - Rob Morgan
- Lonnie Byers - Ross Partridge
- Officer Callahan - John Paul Reynolds
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- The Monster - Mark Steger
- Elevator Scientist - Andrew Benator
- Hawkins Head of Security - Pete Burris
- Pastor Charles - Bill Eudaly
- Jennifer Hayes - Kaylee Glover
- Scott Clarke - Randy Havens
- Lead Scientist - Hugh Holub
- Lead Agent - Tobias Jelinek
- Mr. Melvald - Charles Lawlor
- Russian Agent - Andre Pushkin
- Florence - Susan Shalhoub Larkin
- Diane - Jerri Tubbs
- Principal Russell Coleman - Tony Vaughn
- Agent Repairman - Robert Walker-Branchaud
- "Elegia" by New Order - Instrumental music on the morning of Will's funeral.
- "Green Desert" by Tangerine Dream - Hopper tears apart his trailer looking for listening devices.
- "Nocturnal Me" by Echo & The Bunnymen – Jonathan tries to find Nancy. Plays into end credits.
- "Hopper Sneaks In"
- "What Else is There to Do?"
- "Breaking and Entering"
- "Joyce and Lonnie Fighting"
- "Walking Down the Tracks"
- "I Know What I Saw"
- "Fresh Blood"
- "Inside the Black Room"
- "Eleven is Gone"
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|
|This page uses Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported-licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|