|This article is about the episode. For the entity, see The Mind Flayer.|
The Demodogs invade Hawkins National Laboratory and begin killing everyone inside. Realising they are homing in on Will, taking Mike's advice, Joyce sedates Will. As the demodogs close in, Hopper and Dr. Owens come out through the stairs. The building's system crashes, locking Will, Joyce, Mike, Hopper, Bob, and Dr. Owens in a security office. Bob volunteers to get the power and systems back on line, even though the lab is swarming with many demodogs. Before he leaves, he urges Hopper to get the group out of the Lab as soon as the power comes back and not wait for him.
As they grieved for Bob's tragic death, Mike reminds them that they cannot let him die in vain. Dustin suggests that the shadow monster has a hive intelligence like the Mind Flayer. Joyce and the others desire to kill it, but Hopper points out that they don't know how to defeat it. Realising that the shadow creature is controlling Will and the Demodogs, Mike implores the group to interrogate Will to know its weakness.
Tying Will up in his tool shed and trying to disguise the area so that Will has no idea where he is, they question him. Joyce, Jonathan, and Mike share their fondest memories with him in order to snap him out of the creature's possession. Although unable to communicate with words, Hopper soon realizes that Will is using morse code to tap out a message – "CLOSE GATE." When the house phone rings, Will and the creature realize where they are.
Despite Will being sedated again, the Demodogs head for the house. As the group starts preparing, the Demodogs surround the house.
However, before the Demogorgon dogs could attack, they are each surprisingly killed by Eleven, who then walks through the front door to rejoin her friends. Mike is relieved to see her alive and gets emotional.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- Max Mayfield - Sadie Sink
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Billy Hargrove - Dacre Montgomery
- Bob Newby - Sean Astin
- Dr. Sam Owens - Paul Reiser
- Neil Mayfield - Will Chase
- Radar Tech - Helen Abell
- M.P. Guard #1 - Brian Brightman
- M.P. Guard #2 - Kris Charles
- Nerdy Tech - Joe Davison
- Susan Hargrove - Jennifer Marshall
- "The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)" by Jack Cook - Max's mom and step-father arrive home and find Max's room empty with the window open.
- "The Four Horseman" by Metallica - Billy listens to some music while smoking and getting ready for his date. His father and step-mum enter his room concerned for Max's whereabouts.
- "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash - Jonathan plays a song that he and Will first listened to together: They then distract him while Chief Hopper figures out the Morse Code with Dustin, Lucas and Max.
- "Eulogy"- The group tries to deal with the events occuring at Hawkins Laboratory; Mike informs the group that Bob was the original founder of their school's AV club.
- "Looking for a Way Out"- Mike proproses they use Will to find the Mind Flayer's weakness after they first obscure their location.
- "Soldiers"- The group prepares to disguise the shed for Will.
- "The Return"- When Eleven finally rejoins with her friends and gets emotional seeing Mike; end credits.
- Main cast member Cara Buono (Karen Wheeler) does not appear in this episode.
- On August 31, 2016, the second season was announced through a trailer published across social media, listing the titles of the nine episodes. The trailer shows that the eighth episode was originally titled "The Brain". The new title of the episode was revealed on October 27.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|