"Chapter Six: The Monster" is the sixth episode of the first season of Stranger Things. It is the sixth episode of the series overall. It premiered on July 15, 2016. It was written by Jessie Nickson-Lopez and directed by the Duffer Brothers.
Nancy is able to follow Jonathan's voice and escape the Upside Down to get back to the real world. The two go back to Nancy's house, and Nancy has Jonathan sleep in her bed as she is scared of the Monster. However, Steve arrives and sees them sleeping together through Nancy's bedroom window.
Later, Hopper describes seeing a child's bed in the Hawkins Laboratory and a drawing on the wall. He first believes that the drawing is Will's, but he realizes that this can not be true as the quality of the drawings don't match. Hopper thinks to himself that he may have found another missing kid while searching for Will.
At the urging of Dustin, Mike tries to apologize to Lucas. Lucas says he'll accept the apology under the condition that they forget about Eleven. Mike refuses, and Lucas sets out to find Will on his own. In a flashback, Brenner is seen telling El to make contact with the monster. In real time, El goes into a grocery store and steals boxes of Eggo waffles. She uses her powers to break the sliding glass doors, which leaves a trail for Dustin and Mike to follow in hopes of tracking her down.
Elsewhere, Hopper and Joyce try to track down Will, which leads them to woman named Terry Ives. They see Terry in a catatonic state, only sitting in front of the TV without talking. Terry's sister explains that Terry was a subject in Brenner's testing. She would take LSD and get into a sensory deprivation tank to "expand the mind".
Terry did not know it, but she was pregnant at the time and was told she had a miscarriage in her third trimester. Terry believes her daughter will come back and have special abilities.
Jonathan and Nancy purchase weapons for monster hunting before they can go back into the woods. In an alley, Steve confronts Jonathan and Nancy about the two of them sleeping together. Nancy tries to explain it is not what it looked like, but Steve refuses to listen. Jonathan and Steve get into a fist fight, leading to the police arriving and arresting Jonathan.
While trying to find the gate to the Upside Down, Lucas rides his bike and finds that the compass is pointing towards Hawkins Laboratory. Meanwhile, Mike and Dustin are cornered on a cliff by Troy and his friend. Troy threatens Dustin with a switchblade, saying he will cut out his teeth if Mike doesn't jump. Mike jumps, but before he hits the water he freezes in mid-air and levitates back to safety. El appears on the road and uses her powers to break Troy's arm. As El falls to the ground, a flashback shows her succeeding in making contact with the Monster. El apologizes, claiming she is the monster for having opened the gate. Mike comforts her, saying she isn't the monster because she saved him.
Mike and El hug each other, and Dustin joins in.
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Dr. Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Deputy Powell - Rob Morgan
- Lonnie Byers - Ross Partridge
- Officer Callahan - John Reynolds
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- The Monster - Mark Steger
- Scott Clarke - Randall P. Havens
- Lead Agent - Tobias Jelinek
- Florence - Susan Shalhoub Larkin
- "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart - Steve tries to sneak into Nancy's room.
- "Concerto for Violin - Strings and Basso Continuo in E Major BWV 1042: I. Allegro" by English Chamber Orchestra & Dmitry Sitkovetsky – A lady visits Scott Clarke at his home, telling him about a new AV club.
- "I See the Future" by Andrew Pinching - Karen opens Nancy's bedroom door to find music blaring and the room empty.
- "Happy José" by Kookie Freeman - Eleven steals Eggos from a grocery store.
- "Brahm's Lullaby" by Johannes Brahms - Terry's sister tells Joyce and Hopper about Terry's involvement in the MKUltra experiments and her subsequent miscarriage.
- "The Bargain Store" by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers - Nancy and Jonathan go to the store to buy monster hunting supplies.
- "Exit" by Tangerine Dream - Steve and Jonathan fight in the alley.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|