"Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street" is the second episode of the first season of Stranger Things. It is the second episode of the series overall. It premiered on July 15, 2016. It was written and directed by the Duffer Brothers.
After finding Eleven in the woods, the boys bring her back to Mike's house for the night. Lucas thinks this is a terrible idea and demands they tell Mike's mom right away, but Mike points out that would just get them all grounded, since they weren't supposed to be out looking for Will. Mike gives her clean clothes and builds her a pillow fort to sleep in.
The next day, Mike tries to get Eleven to sneak out of the house and to the front door to make it look like she stumbled upon the house, and that way his mom can help. Eleven rejects his idea, telling Mike that "bad people" are looking for her, and that telling someone about her whereabouts will only make things worse.
Meanwhile, Joyce talks about Chief Hopper about the creepy, static phone call she received. Hopper is reluctant to believe her story, but admits the charring on the phone from the surge of electricity is weird. Later on, Joyce heads to her workplace to buy a new phone and demand two weeks pay in advance from her boss. He shows some sympathy for Joyce after he realizes her kid is missing, and gives in.
Back at Mike's house, Eleven notices a picture of the four boys and points at Will. She knows him, but just before Mike can ask more questions, his mom comes home (Mike was supposed to be at school). Mike rushes Eleven to hide in his bedroom closet, which freaks her out. A flashback is shown where Eleven is being dragged to a dark cell in the Hawkins Laboratory. Mike comforts her, and Eleven trusts him enough to close the door. Lucas begins to trust her too, as Eleven uses her telekinetic abilities to close Mike's bedroom door while Dustin and Lucas look on in astonishment.
The cops find a drainpipe in the woods which leads to the Hawkins Laboratory, and they believe Will might have crawled through it. This is possible, as Eleven uses the boys' Dungeons and Dragons set to show them Will is hiding from a monster.
Joyce receives another creepy, static call which surges with electricity and burns her again. The lights in her house begin to turn on one by one, leading to Will's bedroom. Suddenly, one wall begins to move and take on some weird shapes. Joyce quickly runs out of the house and into her car, but later turns and goes back into the house.
This all happens while Barb, Nancy's friend, feels left out as the third wheel at Steve's party. Barb sits near the pool by herself, with Jonathan taking her picture before leaving. Jonathan fails to notice the mysterious monster as it abducts Barb.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Dr. Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Tommy H. - Chester Rushing
- Deputy Powell - Rob Morgan
- Lonnie Byers (voice) - Ross Partridge
- Barbara Holland - Shannon Purser
- Officer Callahan - John Reynolds
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- The Monster - Mark Steger
- Benny Hammond - Chris Sullivan
- Earl - David Dwyer
- Scott Clarke - Randall P. Havens
- Lead Agent - Tobias Jelinek
- James - Cade Jones
- Holly Wheeler - Anniston Price, Tinsley Price
- "Go Nowhere" by Reagan Youth - Jonathan listens to music while starting his drive to Lonnie's place.
- "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash - Jonathan hears this song as he drives, remembering when he and Will listened to the song together. The song later plays on the stereo in Will's room.
- "Deck The Halls" by Chicks With Hits - Joyce drives into town to buy a new telephone.
- "Jingle Bells" by The Canterbury Choir - Joyce asks her boss, Donald, for an advance on her paycheck.
- "Dark Stars" by Mark Glass - Jonathan parks outside Lonnie's place.
- "I'm Taking Off (Shield Your Eyes)" by Space Knife - Jonathan shoves past Cynthia and searches through Lonnie's house.
- "Body Language" by Alexander Baker & Clair Mario - Nancy and Barb talk over phone.
- "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" by Brotherhood of Man - Nancy has Barb pulling her car over.
- "Raise A Little Hell" by Trooper - Steve opens the front door, letting the girls in.
- "I Melt With You" by Modern English - Music playing at Steve's pool party.
- "Hazy Shade Of Winter" by The Bangles - Nancy makes out with Steve while Barbara is taken by the Monster. Plays into end credits.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|