"Chapter Four: Will the Wise" is the twelfth episode of Stranger Things and the fourth episode of the second season. It is directed by Shawn Levy and will be released with the rest of season two on October 27, 2017.
Dustin, Mike, Lucas, and Max meet up with Joyce. She is looking for Will. They find him virtually catatonic in the field while in The Upside Down the shadow creature is forcing more tentacles down his throat. Will eventually wakes up and tells Joyce what has happened.
Eleven returns to Jim Hopper, who is understandably angry about Eleven's disappearance from the house. They argue and Hopper grounds her with no Eggos and no TV. Eleven uses her powers to shatter all the windows.
Nancy and Jonathan head off in secret to see Barb's parents. Joyce cares for Will and finds that his temperature is very low. Trying to warm him up scares Will how says that "he likes it cold." Meanwhile, Barb's parents are no-shows, but Nancy and Jonathan are confronted by plain-clothed government agents.
Will confesses to Joyce and Hopper that the shadow creature left some part of itself in him which allows him to know things. Unable to verbally explain, Joyce suggests he draw it instead.
Eleven cleans up the house and finds a hatch in the floor. Going down into a storage area, she finds a number of boxes including one labelled "Hawkins Lab."
At Hawkins Labs, Dr. Owens explains why he had them detained, showing them the remains of the gate. He tells them that it cannot be destroyed, but it can be contained. Stating that it is his job to do whatever is necessary to ensure the secrecy of what happened in the lab, he lets them go.
Will draws a large number of seemingly incomprehensible scribbles until Joyce figures out that they are all part of one large image. The completed puzzle appears to be a series of tunnels or tendrils, but Hopper works out that they are vines spreading under Hawkins. To test his theory, Hopper goes out the site of one of the dead pumpkin patches.
At the house, Eleven finds Terry Ives' file and tries to contact her through The Void. She manages to locate her, who is still near-catatonic and reciting numbers. When Eleven makes contact, Terry's eyes open and she says "Jane". Eleven reaches out but the connection breaks. Distraught, Eleven begins sobbing and screaming "Mama, mama".
Mike goes to the Byers' house to help Will. Initially, Joyce tries to send him away, but since Mike mentions the shadow monster she allows him to stay.
Nancy and Jonathan leave Hawkins Lab and reveal their true plan – they had planned to be captured. Everything Dr. Owens had said was recorded.
At Dustin's house, he finds that the tank containing Dart has been smashed, leaving a moulted skin and trail of black slime. Dustin finds Dart eating Mews the cat, and it becomes apparent that his pet is actually a young Demogorgon.
In the pumpkin field, Hopper finds a massive network of tunnels that are corrupted by The Upside Down.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- Max Mayfield - Sadie Sink
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Billy Hargrove - Dacre Montgomery
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Bob Newby - Sean Astin
- Dr. Sam Owens - Paul Reiser
- Claudia Henderson - Catherine Curtin
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Scott Clarke - Randy Havens
- Terry Ives - Aimee Mullins
- Tommy H. - Chester Rushing
- Middle-Aged Man - James DuMont
- Sweaty Teen Boy - Drew Schied
- Florence - Susan Shalhoub Larkin
- Holly Wheeler - Tinsley Price
- Flame Thrower Soldier - David A MacDonald
- High School Student - Austin Trudell
- "This Is Radio Clash" by The Clash - After telling her mom she's staying at Stacey's overnight, Nancy heads outside to join Jonathan.
- "Scarface (Push It To the Limit)" by Paul Engemann - Hopper starts his truck after getting a message about Joyce's many calls; Billy gives Steve advice on holding his ground on the court.
- "The Growing" by The Haxan Cloak - Billy advises Max to stay away from Lucas; Hopper heads out into the pumpkin field and starts digging.
- "Looking for a Way Out"
- "Fresh Blood"
- "To Be Continued"
- "Will the Wise" is the name of the wizard character played by Will Byers in the boys' Dungeons & Dragons campaigns.
- The title of the fourth chapter was originally assumed to be "The Palace" because the announcement trailer for season two listed this as the fourth title. However, the titles in the trailer were out of order and only meant to "provide some hint of where [they] were going in season two without giving anything away." The real title was revealed along with the titles of the six first chapters on October 9, 2017. The image representing the episode was the Shadow Monster and Will's drawing of it.
- ↑ "EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Heaton Dishes on 'Stranger Things' Time Jump in 'Darker' Season 2: 'It's Gonna Be a Ride'" ET. November 6, 2016.
- ↑ "The Duffer Brothers Are Reading Your 'Stranger Things' Reddit Theories" The Hollywood Reporter. October 12, 2016.
- ↑ "The story continues. New chapters on October 27." Stranger Things on Twitter. October 9, 2017.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|